Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My, how time flies...

Things have been so hectic here.  I have been getting in gear for our busy season and have neglected the blog once again.  I hope everyone is looking forward to fall as much as I am.

I didn't want to let summer get away without posting a
"Moccasin Holler Memoir"
Outdoor Toilets…

      Hmmm, not one of my best memories.  Especially the time we went to Granny and Papa’s and I had to make a trip to the “facilities”.  I locked myself in and picked up some pages out of the Sears’ & Roebuck catalog.  I was in the process of crinklin’ the pages up to make them nice and soft when I looked down.  On the floor, peeking out from under the pages was what appeared to be the face of a little squirrel.  Well, who doesn’t love a cute, little squirrel?  So, I reached down and pulled back the pages.

     Like a bolt of lightening, a creature rushed out from under those pages and began to attack me.  It was HUGE and so fast I couldn’t tell what it was, definitely not a squirrel!  It could even walk on the ceiling.  The battle seemed to go on for hours. 

     Actually, the only battle was between me and the latch on the outhouse door. I finally escaped and ran as fast as I could, which wasn’t very fast.  Have you ever tried to run while shaking with fear and trying not to fall over the britches that are wrapped around your ankles?

     Finally, my haven of love and safety was within reach.  I headed straight to the kitchen door and the arms of Mama and Granny.  I knew that when they heard about the danger I had so narrowly escaped, they would grab me, hug me tight and tell me everything was alright…nothing was going to hurt me now.  And, most importantly, they would send Papa out to kill the monster.

     Noooo, they doubled over laughing when they heard my tale of horror!  I was never so hurt and humiliated.  It seems a big lizard had taken up residence in the outhouse that summer and they were happy about it, seein’ as how it ate bugs.  Bugs, my foot, didn’t they realize the thing nearly ate me!!
 

I hope you all enjoyed this.  I love sharing my childhood.  I was truly blessed to have grown up in such a wonderful place and time...a little stretch in the road called Moccasin Holler, located in the Bootheel of Missouri.  The time, the 50's-60's.

Judy

P.S.  Just for clarification, the pic is one of our barns...not a toilet! :)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment